wtorek, 10 marca 2009

1 We must take as much advantage as possible of any opportunity to speak English.
most
We have to MAKE the most of any opportunity to
speak English.

2 Honestly, I don’t mind where we go for our summer holidays.
matter
Honestly, it doesn't matter to me where we go
for our summer holidays.

3 Could you speak English when you were younger?
able
When you were younger,were you able to
speak English?

4 What’s the answer to sixteen minus eight?
away
If you take away eight from sixteen, what’s the
answer?

5 Three hundred students entered the swimming competition last year.
part
Three hundred students took part in the
swimming competition last year.

6 The students will finish their English course at the end of June.
have
The English course will have finised by the
beginning of July.

7 There will be no more oil available in this area in 2030.
run
Oil supplies in this area will (have) run out by
the year 2031.

8 My sister doesn’t like computer games very much.
keen
My sister isn't very keen on computer games.

9 ‘Did you eat the chocolates?’ Maria said to Peter.
asked
Maria asked Peter if he had eaten the chocolates.

10 Bob hadn’t seen his uncle for several years.
gone
After several years had gone by, Bob saw
his uncle again.

11 I needed a cup of coffee this morning but I didn’t have time for one.
done
I could have done with a cup of coffee this
morning but I didn’t have time for one.

12 I’m not going to tolerate this untidiness any longer.
up
I have no intention of putting up with this
untidiness any longer.

13 We went for a walk although it was raining yesterday.
spite
We went for a walk in spite of the rain
yesterday.

14 I’m sure it will be raining tomorrow.
bound
It is bound to be raining tomorrow.

15 Could I borrow some change for the telephone?
lend
Could you lend me some change for the
telephone?

16 It’s ages since my sister and I had an argument.
out
My sister and I haven't fallen out for ages.

17 We are friends although we have disagreements about some things.
despite
We are friends despite the fact that we disagree
about some things.

18 Has John caught a cold?
down
Can you tell me if john has come down with
a cold?

19 I was really bored by the film last night.
found
I found the film really boring last night.

20 I think it’s time the children went to bed now.
had
I think the children had better go to bed
now.

21 The problem we were faced with was a serious one.
came
The problem we came up against was a
serious one.

22 It was a mistake not to apply for the job.
wish
I wish I 'd applied for the job.

23 Being rich has no connection with being happy.
nothing
Being rich has nothing to do with being happy.

24 I can’t wait to see the sights in London.
forward
I am waiting forward to seeing the sights in London.

25 The tourist trade is much better now than it was last month.
picked
The tourist trade has picked up noticeably
since last month.

26 Governments should preserve all the world’s languages.
ought
All the world’s languages ought to be preserved by
governments.

27 The tennis players’ match is still going on.
finished
The tennis players haven't finished the match yet.

28 What time does your plane land tomorrow?
when
Can you tell when your plane lands tomorrow?

29 The family always spent their holidays climbing in the mountains.
used
The family’s holidays used to be spent
climbing in the mountains.

30 Physical exercise won’t hurt you if you are careful.
do
Physical exercise won’t do you any harm if
you are careful.

31 How does a rock climber differ from a mountaineer?
between
What is the difference between a rock climber and a
mountaineer?

32 This new dining table is bigger than the one we had before.
not
The dining table we had before was not as big as
this new one.

33 It was not a good idea for you to refuse the offer of that job.
down
You should not have turned down the offer of that job.

34 My teacher suggested that I spent the summer in England.
advised
My teacher advised me to spend the summer in
England.

35 The film is not as interesting as the novel was.
much
The novel is much more interesting than the film.

36 Will your neighbours look after your dog when you go away?
take
Do you know if your neighbours
will take care of your dog when you go away?

37 Tom, wouldn’t it be a good idea to take the students swimming tomorrow?
how
Tom, how about taking the students
swimming tomorrow?

38 Miss Jones first came to teach us a month ago.
for
Miss Jones has been teaching us for a month now.

39 We are noticing a rise in the cost of living again.
appears
The cost of living appears to be rising again.

40 While we were going home, we had an accident.
way
We were on our way to home when we had an
accident.

41 I’m worried about that bruise on your hand.
look
I don’t like the look of that bruise on your hand.

42 Susan has had no success with her plans to work abroad, unfortunately.
through
Susan’s plans to work abroad have fallen through ,
unfortunately.

43 ‘Don’t forget to phone tomorrow,’ said my mother.
told
My mother told me not to forget to phone the
next day.

44 ‘Did anyone notice anything unusual?’ asked the police officer.
if
The police officer wanted to know if anyone had noticed
anything unusual.

45 Whatever you do, don’t lift that heavy suitcase.
up
I’d advise you not to pick up that heavy
suitcase.

46 Maybe John has not remembered about tonight’s party.
could
I suppose John could have forgotten about
tonight’s party.

47 You should not think that the accident was your fault.
blame
It would be wrong to blame yourself for the
accident.

48 I am sure Maria finds reading interesting because she has lots of books.
must
Maria must be interested in reading because she
has lots of books.

49 I hope you were not discouraged by Sandra from going to the concert.
put
I hope Sandra didn't put you off going to the
concert.

50 I have been to this restaurant three times now.
time
This is the third time I have been to this
restaurant now.

51 I am so exhausted that I won’t be able to go out tonight.
too
I too exhausted to go out tonight.

52 The runners had a difficult time competing in the race.
part
The runners who took part in the race
had a difficult time.

53 Do you know when the race is being held next year?
place
When is the race taking place next year?

54 It will be necessary to send this letter first class.
have
This letter have to be sent first class.

55 ‘Are you waiting to be served?’ said the waitress to me.
asked
The waitress asked me if I was waiting to be
served.

56 Buying those jeans was not a sensible thing for me to do yesterday.
only
If only I had not bought those jeans yesterday.


57 The owner established the company in 2001.
up
The company was set up by the owner in 2001.

58 We booked seats but it was not necessary because there was plenty of room.
booked
We needn't have booked seats because there was
plenty of room.

59 It is difficult for Paul to decide what to do.
mind
Paul finds it difficult to make up his mind what to do.

60 Bad weather delayed the building project for several weeks.
set
The building project was set BACK for
several weeks by the bad weather.

61 Sara cleaned every bit of her room before her cousin came to stay.
top
Sara cleaned her room from top to bottom
before her cousin came to stay.

62 Travelling by bus is cheaper than travelling by train.
more
Travelling by train is more expensive than travelling
by bus.

63 Leaving school made me realise that my childhood was over.
brought
Leaving school brought it home to me that my
childhood was over.

64 I never find time to tidy my desk.
round
I never get round to tidying my desk.

65 Please behave as if you are in your own house during your stay.
make
I’d like you all to make yourselves at home during
your stay.

66 I am not tall enough to reach the top of this cupboard.
taller
If I were taller, I would reach the top of this
cupboard.

67 I’d like you to connect me to the managing director’s extension number.
through
Could you put me through to the managing
director’s extension number?

68 To tell the truth, we need a swimming pool for this school.
what
To tell the truth,what we need is a
swimming pool for this school.

69 Do you know whose this umbrella is, by any chance?
belongs
Do you know who this umbrella belongs to, by any chance?

70 Was it Paul’s idea to go to the cinema?
came
Was it Paul who came up with the idea of going
to the cinema?

71 The boats began to move slowly out of the harbour.
way
The boats slowly made their way out of the
harbour.

72 One runner did not succeed in finishing the race.
able
One runner wasn't able to finish the race.

73 It is not my fault that the glass broke.
blame
You cannot blame me for breaking the glass.

74 I am starting to find watching television boring.
fed
I am beginning to get fed up with watching
television.

75 Bad weather makes me feel really unhappy in the winter.
down
Bad weather really gets me down in the winter.

76 Fog delayed my flight to Moscow this morning.
up
My flight to Moscow was held up by fog this
morning.

77 Help was urgently needed in the flooded area of the country.
need
They were in urgent need of help in the flooded
area of the country.

78 I went to Italy with the intention of learning Italian.
that
I went to Italy so that I could learn Italian.

79 Remember to return the videos you have rented.
back
Don’t forget to bring/take back the videos you have
rented.

80 While we were going home yesterday we got caught in a thunderstorm.
way
We got caught in a thunderstorm while we were
on our way home yesterday.

81 Has Mary altered her decision about moving to the countryside?
mind
Do you know if Mary has changed her mindabout
moving to the countryside?

82 I’d like Kevin to stop telling me what to do.
wish
I wish Kevin would stop telling me what to do!

83 ‘Are you pleased it’s nearly half-term?’ said the teacher to us.
know
The teacher wanted to know if we were pleased
it was nearly half-term.

84 We are earning less than we are spending, I’m afraid.
expenditure
Our expenditure is greater than our income, I’m afraid.

85 I don’t think having luxuries in life is necessary.
necessity
I don’t see any(the) necessity of having luxuries in life.

86 I don’t earn anything like the amount I did before.
nowhere
I earn nowhere near as much as I did before.

87 The date for the Barcelona Conference is the 23rd of March.
place
The Barcelona Conference takes place ON
the 23rd of March.

88 The house was not very attractive in appearance when we first saw it.
much
The house was not much to look at when we
first saw it.

89 No-one wants to buy this type of music any more.
longer
There is no longer any demand for this type of music.

90 Looking back, I think I was right to study mathematics at university.
regret
Looking back, I don't regret studying mathematics
at university.

91 Our spending will have to be reduced next year.
back
We will have to cut back on our spending
next year.

92 The children were absolutely certain that the film would be fantastic.
doubt
There was no doubt in the minds of the children
that the film would be fantastic.

93 Did anyone raise the subject of the school trip?
brought
Can you tell me if anyone brought up the subject
of the school trip?

94 I started learning English three years ago.
been
I ' ve been learning English for three years.

95 They are moving our oral examination to an earlier date.
forward
Our oral examination is being moved forward to an
earlier date.

96 ‘Do you want to go for a walk?’ asked Bob.
felt
Bob asked me if I felt like going for a walk.


97 Olivia did not concentrate so she made a lot of mistakes.
would
If Olivia had concentrated she would have made fewer mistakes.

98 Do you happen to know the time of the next train to London?
could
I wonder if you could tell me the time of the
next train to London.

99 The children are always fascinated by nature programmes on TV.
find
The children find always nature prohrammes fascinating when they
watch them on TV.

100 ‘What about going for a swim?’ said John to me.
should
John said we should go for a swim.

1 They’re going to get rid of all these small shops when they build the new supermarket.
with
They’re going to do away with all these small shops when they build the new supermarket.

2 It’s your decision whether we stay in or go out.
up
It’s up to you whether we stay in or go out.

3 I know I’ve done really badly in that test.
mess
I know I’ve really made a mess of that test.

4 Jerry and his boss work really well together.
relationship
Jerry has a really good relationship with his colleagues.


5 I think that I’m going to win this competition.
feeling
I .have a/the feeling that I’m going to win this competition.

6 My parents don’t think my ideas are important at all.
seriously
My parents don’t take my ideas seriously at all.

7 Jill doesn’t often walk to college.
unusual
It’s unusual for Jill towalk to college.

8 My grandmother always found the new coins strange when the euro was introduced.
used
My grandmother never got used to the new coins when the euro was introduced.

9 My dad always talks when I’m watching my favourite TV programme.
habit
My dad has a habit OF talking when I’m watching my favourite TV programme.


10 I usually say exactly what I’m thinking.
tendency
I have a tendancy to say exactly what I’m thinking.


1 If she hadn’t helped me, I couldn’t have finished the decorating.
able
If she hadn’t helped me, I wouldn’t HAVE BEEN able to finish the decorating.

2 I won’t lend you my skirt unless you promise to look after it.
if
I won’t lend you my skirt if you don't promise to look after it.

3 Jim said he would tidy the house only if Ruth helped him.
not
Jim said he would not tide the house unless Ruth helped him.

4 I didn’t feel hungry, despite missing dinner.
even
I didn’t feel hungry,even though I had missed dinner.

5 Carmen regretted not visiting her grandmother more while she was alive.
wished
Carmen wished she had visited her grandmother more while she was alive.

6 You might become rich, but you still wouldn’t be happy.
even
You wouldn’t be happy even if you became rich.

7 Don became very wealthy by selling used cars.
fortune
Don made a/his fortune FROM selling used cars.

8 Kira didn’t say anything about her illness last night.
made
Kira made no mention of/ made no reference to her illness last night.

9 Hal found something unexpectedly when he cleared out the attic.
discovery
Hal made an unexpected discovery when he cleared out the attic.

10 I didn’t want to create difficulties for Robin by mentioning our disagreement.
cause
I didn’t want to cause Robin a problem/ any problems by mentioning our disagreement.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz